Tuesday, April 22, 2003

She said, "I'm tired of the war,
I want the kind of work I had before,
a wedding dress or something white
to wear upon my swollen appetite."
- Leonard Cohen, Joan of Arc
Speaking of wedding dresses - or dressing for weddings - I finally got an outift for LittleBigSister's summer bash. It's a pink and gold Bollywood-tastic affair; my cunning plan, you see, to avoid all the girlie agonising over whether or not what I'm wearing "goes" with anyone / anything else. I'm simply going to clash with everything, so that's sorted.

Yes, Friday was spent shopping with BigSister which was very pleasant despite the clouds of heated up air pollution hovering over Oxford Street and seeping under my contact lenses. And then dinner in our lovely new kitchen / living room with BigSister, BigBrother, Mumsy and Papa, with all of us tucking into a big roasted leg of lamb around the rickety table in our bay window. After this day of leisurely shopping and dining, I thought I'd be all refreshed and relaxed for a productive day of house work and... stuff on Saturday. I was wrong.

I got up mid-morning. I had breakfast. I made a list of the things I needed to do. I went back to bed with a P J O'Rourke book (which was, incidentally, on my list of things to do). I got restless. I got out of bed again. I picked up my large, heavy mirror salvaged from the dressing table me and my sisters had shared while growing up. I dropped it. It fell out of the frame and hit the floor edge on. This somehow didn't shatter the main body of the mirror but instead sent small glinting shards flying off the corners. As a reluctantly superstitious person, and materially sentimental to boot, I was understandably upset and set about sweeping up the glass. It was a bright day and the sun happened to glint off a particularly large shard and gave me a blindspot in my vision. It was unfortunately exactly the same kind of blindspot in my vision that accompanies a migraine and before I knew it I was back in bed, guzzling painkillers and praying that I'd pass out before it got too bad.

I haven't had a migraine for a while now and it was extra unpleasant. So I didn't emerge from my room until 6pm by which time all my energy for doing Useful Things had been well and truly killed off. Ugh.

Sunday was much better, spent trawling through the few shops that were open for my groceries which was actually a very pleasant walk in the sun around my part of town which, if you know where I live, is a rare thing. And then having made a full recovery from my nasty migraine the night before, I set about entertaining again, this time for just one very special guest (you know who you are...) Mmmmm.

And then Monday was spent unblocking the toilet (actually, just watching Flatmate A unblock the toilet - I salute you and cannot thank you enough for your courage with that plunger), lying in bed eating Cadburys Creme Eggs and reading the papers, sewing my curtains, writing and... oh, that's it. A happy Easter Break, despite the crippling migraine. How was yours?

No comments:

Videos