Saturday, September 11, 2004

"I had no time to hate, because
The grave would hinder me,
And life was not so ample I
Could finish enmity.

Nor had I time to love, but since
Some industry must be,
The little toil of love, I thought,
Was large enough for me."
Emily Dickinson, I Had No Time to Hate Because


Busy busy busy but in a good way and anyway too busy to grumble - and too busy to write here, but here I am on a Saturday afternoon, still in my dressing gown, perched on the sofa, idling and enjoying the idling I've missed sorely in the last two weeks...
Yesterday
- 5.15am: out of bed
- 7.15am: on train to Coventry
- 8.30am: in cab to Warwick university, stuck in the school run
- 9.00am: training course starts
- 4.00pm: training course finishes
- 4.30pm: on coach to Birmingham
- 6.00pm: launch party at Birmingham Rep, receiving guests with my clipboard, name badges, glass of wine and a cigarette
- 8.30pm: leave Birmingham Rep, feeling slightly wobbly
- 8.45pm: shakily demand Virgin trains changes my ticket from 10pm to 9pm; they refuse me politely
- 9.05pm: stagger around WH Smith
- 9.25pm: go to platform and wait
- 9.35pm: still waiting
- 9.45pm: still waiting
- 9.51pm: realise I'm on the wrong platform
- 9.55pm: can't find right platform. Panic
- 9.57pm: on right platform, breathless, told train is delayed
- 10.05pm: board train.
- 12.25am: look for taxi. Can't find taxi.
- 12.35am: finally get in taxi
- 12.44am: realise taxi is going in completely the wrong direction
- 12.47am: stop taxi, prepare to cry, order driver to turn around and fret about the fare. Taxi driver decidedly unimpressed, unapologetic and unswerving in expecting the full fare. Argue vaguely against this
- 12.52am: pull up to my door with Taxloss waiting patiently with extra cash. Taxi driver surprisingly nicer to me once he spots our rather nice street and the faithful fiance at the door. Leap out of cab into his arms

Quite eventful, really. And how interesting to finally see Warwick University, one of my choices for my degree; an odd place, a cross between a business park, council estate and extended lecture block with bonus Arts Centre. I wonder what kind of student I would have been if I had studied there? Any thoughts, Prandial?

Off to celebrate Former Flatmate A's 25th birthday in Brighton (cripes, another train journey!) - time to wipe clean the crinoline and brush off the fez if I want to be the star of the dance floor. Now where did I put my lucky cravat?

No comments:

Videos