"In every picture you look either cross or scared or both."
Because the lovely and now quite large Planethalder requested it, here is a picture of me as a baby with abundant, slightly mad, very black hair. I've spent a lot of time wondering what my offspring with Mr H. Avenue will look like as he has fine, pale ginger hair, glorious freckles and skin that burns under streetlamps. I, on the other hand, come from strong peasant stock and was obviously built to toil for many years under the sun, in the fields, with indestructible black, black hair and skin that is not swarthy but certainly strong enough to withstand hours in the glare of the outdoors.
Of course, since my half-white French, half-Hong kong Chinese niece arrived, I can stop wondering and see for myself just how adorable and lovely a mixed race baby can be. She has the most charming pair of eyes I've ever seen - huge pools of black diamond shine, brimming with wonder as she grows up with rosy, snowy skin and very dark brown, characteristically mad hair.
I've neglected the writing I like to put here and was beginning to feel a little bad. But then I started counting to myself all the things that keep me from scribbling away here, keeping me from my fellow blogging friends and here's the list. I think it's forgiveable.
- I am now working in a new job with a company / product that I love (let's just say it's a big, liberal, broadsheet newspaper...)
- I'm still in administration but the responsibilities are greater and quite different as I'm in multimedia now and have to concentrate a lot more when I'm in the office - no sneaky blogging in my lunch hour and then realising I haven't actually finished when the office suddenly empties at 6pm
- apart from the dayjob, Londonist is coming along in leaps and bounds, with quite serious things to attend to, distracting me further from the Avenue
- I went to Barcelona and rocked it hard for four days solid, then took two weeks out afterwards to recover from the excesses of The Party That Would Not Stop
- I've been out and about a lot
- oh, I don't want to make excuses, I've just taken some time off writing and now I'm back, with pictures and improved upper body strength
More to come. Lots and lots more to come. It's good to be back.